A “TRAUMATISED” mum has vowed never to eat an egg again after a microwave poaching hack backfired and exploded in her face – leaving her with horrific facial burns.
Chantelle Conway claims to have been cooking poached eggs in the microwave for two years before it went wrong last week, Friday 2 July, leaving her screaming in agony and convinced she’d “burnt her face off”.
The 25-year-old had boiled the kettle and filled a cup before cracking a raw egg into the water and putting it in the microwave for ten seconds.
When she put a cold spoon into the boiling water to remove the poached egg the reaction sent the piping hot water shooting straight into her face as she stood over the cup.
The stay-at-home mum-of-two has now shared photos of her excruciating facial burns to warn others against the dangerous “hack”, which has recently been trending on TikTok.
Chantelle, from Farnworth, Bolton, said: “I’ve always done poached eggs that way because it was just a quicker and easier way of doing them.
“When I took it out of the microwave I put a metal spoon in to turn the egg and check if it was cooked but as soon as the spoon touched the water it shot out. It wasn’t the egg that blew up, that landed on my kitchen side.
It was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my life
“The water went everywhere – all over my face and neck and I’m sure it even hit the ceiling because there’s a mark above where I was standing.
“It was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my life and I’ve had two natural childbirths – it felt like someone had a blowtorch on my face constantly and I was convinced my whole face had burnt off.
“I was looking right over the cup so I’m really lucky that I managed to shut my eyes in time and wasn’t blinded but my eyelids were badly burnt.
“I think I probably would’ve died from the pain if I hadn’t acted so fast pouring cold water on myself because it was that bad, I couldn’t handle it.”
Chantelle was on FaceTime with her cousin Stephanie Leigh at the time of the horrific accident, who listened in horror to Chantelle’s screams as the water scalded her face.
Stephanie, 28, said: “We FaceTime every day and she puts the phone on the tea and sugar pots while she makes a brew.
“All of a sudden I saw lots of stuff flying up in the air and she was screaming and couldn’t even talk to tell me what had happened so I thought the kettle had blown up in her face.
All of a sudden I saw lots of stuff flying up in the air
“I was in Manchester at the time, too far away to nip round, so I just felt helpless and was crying my eyes out panicking trying to call someone nearby to go help her.”
Chantelle was home alone with her 18-month-old baby Heidi-River Ball when she suffered the horrific burns, leaving her waiting almost an hour to get help.
The doting mum’s other daughter, five-year-old Lilly-Rose Ball, was at school at the time and the girls’ dad, Mark Ball, 34, had to come and take Chantelle to Royal Bolton Hospital.
Hospital staff told her she was lucky to not have suffered worse injuries and her fast action of dousing herself in cold water spared her from third degree burns.
FABULOUS BINGO: JOIN NOW FOR £1,000 DAILY FREE BINGO
Chantelle said: “I was grabbing handfuls of cold water and chucking it all over myself for about an hour while I waited for my babies’ dad to come and pick me up and take me to the hospital – I couldn’t move away from the water.
“Mark had to help me get ready because I’d put a towel soaked in cold water on my face and couldn’t take it off for even a second because of the pain.
“My baby was in the other room playing when it happened but thankfully my older daughter was at school and didn’t see it because that would have traumatised her, I was screaming.
“My little girl hates it, she told me the other day she doesn’t like my face like this and it breaks my heart.
“I worry about what the baby thinks as well, like if she’s scared of me or doesn’t recognise me.
“When we got to the hospital the nurse saw how much pain I was in and put me on morphine straight away and then they put a jelly facemask on me for two hours.
“The hospital staff said I was very lucky that I reacted so quickly otherwise I would’ve had third degree burns.”
Over the next week the burns on Chantelle’s face blistered and burst, but have slowly started to heal.
I worry about what the baby thinks as well, like if she’s scared of me or doesn’t recognise me
The burnt skin has begun to flake off leaving her with a ‘patchy’ complexion that she’s praying won’t scar.
Chantelle said: “The next day I started getting blisters on my chin and by Sunday morning I couldn’t cope with the pain and went back to hospital for some advice.
“On monday the blisters on my chin burst and I woke up with my hand stuck to my face which pulled some skin off when I moved – I was panicking because then I had a raw patch of skin.
“I’m coming to the end of it now and my burnt skin is shedding off like a snake. I’m not in much pain now but it’s very itchy and the inside of my nose and lips are still very raw.”
The “traumatised” mum has now shared photos of her burn recovery and TikTok videos about her awful experience to raise awareness and warn others off this trending ‘hack’.
She vows to never eat an egg again and certainly not to poach them in the microwave after learning this lesson the hard way.
Chantelle said: “I get flashbacks and it’s put me off cooking. I’ll never have an egg again because I’m so traumatised – I used to love eggs.
“I do take full responsibility for what happened, it was silly of me to do it and I just want more people to know what can happen so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.
“I’ve seen loads of videos of people doing it on TikTok and I just want to show people what can happen to hopefully stop them doing it.”
Attend Fabulous’ FREE Girls’ Night In & be in with a chance of winning a £500 beauty goodie bag
Next week, we’ll be throwing our first ever Fabulous Girls Night In – and who else would we get to co-host the event than Vicky Pattison herself?!
Our beauty editor Tara Ledden will be chatting to the Queen of the Jungle all about her makeup regime and the products she just couldn’t live without.
As they talk all things beauty, Tara and Vicky will also be trying out 2021’s top products – as voted by YOU in this year’s Fabulous Beauty Awards.
Better still, the event is completely FREE to attend – and as it’s virtual, tuning in while you’re mid-pamper and in your PJs is actively encouraged.
And if that wasn’t enough, all attendants will be in with a chance of winning one of 10 beauty goodie bags worth an eye-watering £500.
So what are you waiting for? Sign up to this completely free girly pamper evening here.
In other real life news, we told you about a woman who had sex on TV during Love Island’s predecessor The Villa.
We also revealed the almost-Spice Girl who got down to the final eight but now works in admin for the NHS.
And a schoolgirl’s letter from 1969 made spookliy accurate predictions.