FROM breakfast to noodle dishes and traditional salads, nothing is easier to make and more fun to eat than a meal in a bowl.
So get combining protein, carbohydrates and plenty of fruit and veg for a tasty treat to tuck into. Here are three recipes that will bowl you over.
Chicken ramen, ginger and turmeric
£1.90 per serving
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking: 30 minutes
For the broth:
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 chicken stock pot
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 20g ginger puree
- 50g Morrisons Thai paste
For the rest of the dish:
- 150g sliced cooked chicken breast
- 100g wholewheat ramen noodles
- 2 eggs
- 1 head Chinese leaf, cut into quarters
- 100g shiitake mushrooms
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 50g edamame beans
- 1 large carrot, peeled into ribbons
- Make the broth by mixing together all the ingredients for it, along with 500ml water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer the broth for five minutes then keep warm.
- Cook the noodles to the instructions provided.
- Soft-boil the eggs for five and a half to six minutes.
- Slice and stir-fry the shiitake mushrooms, spring onion, Chinese leaf and carrot ribbons.
- Reheat the chicken in the broth.
- To assemble, add the warm noodles to your ramen bowl, top with the boiled egg sliced in half, add your cooked vegetables.
- When the chicken is piping hot add this too, and pour over the broth.
TIP: For a vegetarian treat, simply swap the chicken for tofu.
Chicken, noodle and chilli bowl
£1.95 per serving
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- 4 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 4 tbsp Kikkoman teriyaki marinade
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 litre chicken stock, made up with a stock pot
- 1 medium red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1kg fine egg noodles
- 25g spring onions, sliced, to garnish
- Make a few deep slashes in each chicken breast and place in a shallow dish.
- Mix the teriyaki marinade with the oil, pour over the chicken, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Place the chicken on a foil-lined grill pan and spoon over any remaining marinade.
- Cook, turning occasionally, for 15 minutes until the chicken is golden and cooked through.
- Place the stock in a large saucepan with the chilli and bring to a boil.
- Add the noodles and simmer for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften. Slice the chicken and add to the pan.
- Place in bowls and add the spring onions.
TIP: To turn this into a soup, simply double the amount of stock and water that you use.
Berry and kefir smoothie bowls
£1.27 per serving
Preparation: 10 minutes
- 180ml kefir
- 95g raspberries, (25g for topping)
- 65g blueberries, (25g for topping)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 30g whole oats
- ½ sliced banana
- 35g Morrisons berries, coconut & seeds breakfast
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp pumpkin seeds
6 McDonald’s menu items being axed in March leaving fans ‘raging’
POSTIES’ SUNDAY PARCEL DELIVERY
Royal Mail tests Sunday parcel deliveries for big retailers
CHEERS TO THAT
Greene King to reopen 442 pub gardens from April 12 – see the full list
PayPal is giving out £5 to 20,000 customers – how to claim
Which John Lewis stores are closing? Everything we know so far
7 rarest old coins including London Mint sovereign worth up to £25,000
- Mix together the kefir, raspberries, blackberries, honey and oats.
- Add your toppings.
TIP: For a tropical addition add some fresh chopped mango.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]