Connect with us


Am I due a tax rebate or rebate from HMRC and how can I claim?

YOU may be owed money from HMRC if you’ve overpaid on tax.

This sometimes happens after you’ve moved jobs and not given your new workplace your P45 or filled in a starter checklist form.

 You could be owed a tax rebate or rebate from HMRC


You could be owed a tax rebate or rebate from HMRCCredit: Getty – Contributor

Often the tax office will automatically place you on the emergency tax code until you contact them to tell them otherwise.

Alternatively you can get your HR team at your workplace to contact them for you, but you will need to either give them your P45 or fill in a starter checklist.

You might need to claim the rebate if you started a new job or you only had a job for part of the tax year.

Or you may have stopped working and had no taxable earning or benefits for the rest of the tax year, or changed from full-time to part-time work.

But there is a way that you can claim back the money you’re owed – here we explain how to.

How do I know if I am owed a tax rebate or refund?

If you are due a tax rebate HMRC will let you know by sending you a letter called a P800 or a simple assessment letter.

P800 letters can also tell you that you haven’t paid enough tax, so don’t get too excited when one comes through your letter box.

You will only get a P800 after the tax year has ended in April – the letter won’t usually arrive till around September.

This letter will tell you if you can claim online through the government’s website.

If you claim online the money will be sent to your account in about five days.

Or you can wait for 45 days and the government will send you a cheque in the post.

If you don’t receive a P800 and think you have overpaid on your tax you can use the government’s income tax calculator to figure out how much you should have been paid.

How do I claim my tax back if I’ve overpaid?

If you pay tax through the PAYE system you may sometimes pay too much tax and notice this by looking at your payslip or P800.

There are various reasons for this, but the most common was being given an incorrect PAYE or tax code.

Your tax code, as well as the amount you’ve paid in tax, your National Insurance contributions and if you’re still paying off your student loans, will be listed on your pay slip.

We’ve created a guide so you can tell what your tax code means.

If you think you have overpaid tax through PAYE in the current tax year, tell HMRC before the end of the tax year – April 5, 2021 – and tell them why you think you have paid too much.

You have four years from the end of the tax year in which the overpayment happened to claim a refund.
You can claim whatever you think you may be owed on the government website here.

What do I do if I owe money?

This usually happens if you have more than one source of income or have changed jobs.

Those who have underpaid will be notified before the end of the tax year.

HMRC has to notify you of the underpayment mistake within 12 months.

They will then usually collect the tax you owe in instalments over the next year.

If you cannot pay the cash over one year it is possible to get HMRC to spread the payment over several tax years.

HMRC will write to you about how you can pay if they cannot collect the money this way.

Your P800 will tell you if you can pay the tax you owe online.

Last year, HMRC figures revealed some people had wrongly been taxed after taking cash out of their pension pots.

And HMRC waived fines for self-employed workers who filed their self-assessment tax returns late at the beginning of this year.

And millions of teens could get up to £2,400 from Child Trust Funds – here’s how to find out if your teen is owed cash.

Former PM Tony Blair says Brits will ‘inevitably’ face tax increases to pay for coronavirus

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

five × four =